Although abnormal brown spotting is common, it does not mean that you can underestimate the appearance of brown spots before menstruation. Especially when accompanied by other troubling symptoms.
Abnormal Brown spotting can be a sign of certain diseases that should get special medical attention, for example;
1.Sexually transmitted diseases
Unpleasantly smelling brown spots can be a sign of venereal disease transmitted through uncivil sex. For example chlamydia or gonorrhea.
Symptoms Of STD:
- Burning sensation and pain during urination as well as during sex
- Vagina feels very itchy
- Hip pain
- Abnormal vaginal discharge.
2.Pelvic inflammatory diseases
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an infection of a woman’s reproductive organs such as the uterus, cervix (cervix), ovaries (ovaries), or fallopian tubes.
The disease is caused by bacteria transmitted through condomless sexual intercourse.
Symptoms Of Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases:
- Smelly brownish blood spots
- Pain during sex
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Severe pain in the pelvis and around the lower abdomen
- Have a fever to chills when the infection is already severe
Pelvic inflammatory disease is one that can make women infertile. However, the disease can also be cured if given the right treatment.
3.Polycystic ovary syndrome
PCOS is a disease that occurs due to an imbalance of androgen hormones in the body. This condition makes the menstrual cycle so irregular that it often triggers the abnormal brown spotting between menstrual periods.
Symptoms Of PCOS:
- Growing hair on face and chest
- Prone to breakouts
- Pain in the hips
- Messy menstrual cycle or even no menstruation at all
- Menstruation tends to be long and painful
There are many treatment options to help balance hormones in the body. Drugs containing the hormones estrogen and progesterone are usually the drug of choice for women with PCOS.
4. Cervical cancer
In rare cases, the presence of brown spots before menstruation can indicate cervical cancer. Without medical treatment, cervical cancer can cause a variety of fatal complications, even death.
Symptoms Of Cervical Cancer:
- Pain during sex
- Longer and more severe menstruation
- Changes in the schedule of bowels
- Severe pelvic pain
- Drastically reduced weight
- Pain without cause.
It is immediately possible to check your health with a doctor to get the right diagnosis and treatment. Perhaps you should undergo some health tests to better ascertain the accurate cause.
When to go to the doctor?
Abnormal brown spotting can be normal but you should know when this is a danger sign. Check with your doctor immediately if,
- It continues for several weeks
- Frequent after sex
- Brown spots have an unpleasant aroma
- Appearance of spots accompanied by pain or abdominal cramps
- Spots accompanied by itching in the vagina.